Solicitor – Property
Solicitor – Property
Corporate and Commercial Services
Salary: £46,550 – £49,427 (SM3)
Hours: 36.66 per week
Based: Level 4, Civic Centre, West Street, Oldham, OL1 1UL
Closing Date: Sunday 2nd June 2019 (midnight)
Shortlisting & Interview Dates: TBC
- To provide relevant legal advice and legal services in relation to land and property matters affecting the Council and to undertake land and property transactions on behalf of the Council from inception to completion.
- To provide legal advice and legal services in respect of all work falling within the remit of the section including advice in relation to trusts, company law and charity law in the context of property matters.
- To assist the Council in updating, development and interpretation and legal application of the Council’s Constitution and governance arrangements in relation to the Land and Property Protocols.
- Delivering comprehensive, timely legal advice and legal work in particular in the areas of land and property law and advice in relation to trusts, company law and charity law in the context of property matters.
- Ensuring that decision-making in relation to the Council’s land and property is lawful and in accordance with the Council’s constitution and the Council’s governance arrangements and in particular with the Land and Property Protocol.
- Supporting the Corporate Team as required in all aspects of property transactions and conveyancing and related matters.
- Undertaking legal work of a specialist and/or complex nature, including research, the preparation of advice to Council officers and elected members, the drafting and settling of legal documentation and the drafting and presentation of reports and other documentation, without supervision.
- Working with client officers to ensure that they are appropriately advised and supported, and are able to provide informed instructions to the Council’s external advisers (where engaged) as required. Advising on the need for specialist external advice, where necessary assisting on procuring, instructing and managing external legal advisers where these are engaged.
- Undertaking legal research, the preparation of advice to officers and members, the drafting of property related legal documents such as transfers, contracts, leases licences, charges and the drafting and presentation of reports and other documentation, including: development of existing documentation and developing the use of the Case Management System.
- Liaison with the Group Solicitor (Corporate) and other managers within Legal Services to ensure effective co-ordination of all legal services to the Council. Keeping up to date with relevant developments in law and practice, and working with colleagues in the legal team to ensure that other officers are aware of developments relevant to them.
- Keeping up to date with relevant developments in law and practice relating to conveyancing and working with colleagues in the legal team to ensure that other officers are aware of developments relevant to them.
To succeed in this role you will need as a minimum:
- Qualified Solicitor or Barrister or Member or Governing Body/Law Society
- Minimum one year post qualification experience in land/property law/commercial conveyancing.
- Experience of working with a variety of individuals, services and partner organisations across the public, private, community and voluntary sectors.
- Knowledge of land and property law, conveyancing practices and protocols, landlord and tenant law in order to provide legal advice in these areas.
For more information about the Oldham Council, please visit:
For details of how we use your data please see our privacy notice: https://www.oldham.gov.uk/downloads/file/4967/employment_privacy_notice_-_oldham_council_10
Please note that should a vacancy that has been released for internal or external recruitment be deemed suitable for an at risk employee, it can be pulled back at any point up to the post being formally offered to an external candidate or an internal candidate that is not at risk of redundancy.