Salary £47,830 – £50,784 per annum (SM3)
Closing Date/Time 11.59pm on 6th March 2022
To provide the professional services of a solicitor to the Council and other bodies within the Directorate for Health and Well-being.
- To advise Council, Executive, Committees, Officers and Departments of the Council on legal matters primarily, but not exclusively, relating to all areas of Social Services and Education including attendance at evening meetings as requested.
- Advocacy in contested and uncontested hearings in Court and when necessary instruction of Counsel at the Family Court, including the preparation and management of cases.
- Drafting and settling of legal documentation with particular reference to Children’s Social Care.
- Conduct of litigation with particular reference to Children’s Social Care and Education matters.
To succeed in this role you will need as a minimum:
- Extensive experience of advising Social work clients and their managers.
- Extensive post qualification experience in conducting child care proceedings.
- Advocacy experience including Contested Hearings at Court.
- Ability to advise competently in complex child care matters and to assimilate and advise upon evidential matters relating thereto.
Oldham Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Oldham is committed to developing a Co-operative future; one where citizens, partners and staff work together to improve the borough. Anyone joining the council is coming into an ambitious organisation with big plans. We are working hard to build a brighter future for our borough, and we need people from a wide range of backgrounds to continue delivering the best for our communities.
The Council has a clear set of Values and Behaviours, our Values outline how we do business, and we share these borough wide with our residents, partners and businesses. Internally we have translated these values into five cooperative behaviours which outline the priority areas of focus for all staff at all levels. You can view the Values and Behaviours on our Greater. Jobs pages Working for Oldham
For details of how we use your data please see our privacy notice: Privacy Notice
Please note that should a vacancy that has been released for internal or external recruitment be deemed suitable for an at risk employee, it can be pulled back at any point up to the post being formally offered to an external candidate or an internal candidate that is not at risk of redundancy.
Right to Work in the UK from 1st July 2021.doc
Job Description & Person Specification.docx