Legal Assistant (Family Legal Team)
Contract: Fixed Term (12 months)
Salary: £24,313 – £26,999 (Grade 5)
Hours: 36.66 per week
Based: Level 4, Civic Centre, West Street, Oldham, OL1 1UL
Closing Date: Thursday 20th February 2020
To provide legal and service specific administrative support to the Group Solicitor and Solicitors within the Family Legal Team
- To keep up to date with relevant legislation and assist in implementing changes within legislation which affect the functions of the relevant Sections. In respect of the Family Legal Team this includes legislation relating to Social Services and Education functions and including the law relating to child protection, adoption, mental health and school appeals.
- To assist in the preparation and conduct of appropriate cases or matters assigned and carrying out associated legal/administration work, including the drafting and preparation of relevant documentation and updating of Court Bundles under the supervision of the Group Solicitor and Solicitors within the Family Legal Team.
- To prepare briefs, where appropriate, for Counsel and attending upon Counsel or Solicitors at Hearings.
- To collect evidence and prepare witness statements and affidavits, undertake research, progress chasing, setting up and taking minutes at meetings.
- To attend Court as necessary in connection with proceedings including, in suitable cases, conduct of Hearings in the Family Courts.
- To Clerk School Exclusions and Admission Appeals and deal with ancillary matters arising therefrom.
To succeed in this role you will need as a minimum:
- Experience/knowledge of procedures relating to Child Protection/Adoption/Exclusion and Education Appeals.
- Ability to assist on complex legal transactions.
- Ability to represent the Council in the Family Courts in uncontested and straightforward proceedings.
- Ability to Clerk School Admission and School Exclusion Appeals.
- Ability to cope with sensitive and emotional issues.
Oldham is committed to developing a Co-operative future; one where citizens, partners and staff work together to improve the borough. Anyone joining the council is coming into an ambitious organisation with big plans. We are working hard to build a brighter future for our borough and we need people from a wide range of backgrounds to continue delivering the best for our communities.
The Council has a clear set of Values and Behaviours, our Values outline how we do business and we share these borough wide with our residents, partners and businesses. Internally we have translated these values into five cooperative behaviours which outline the priority areas of focus for all staff at all levels. You can view the Values and Behaviours on our Greater. Jobs pages Working for Oldham
For details of how we use your data please see out privacy notice: Privacy Notice
Please note that should a vacancy that has been released for internal or external recruitment be deemed suitable for an at risk employee, it can be pulled back at any point up to the post being formally offered to an external candidate or an internal candidate that is not at risk of redundancy.
Link to apply – https://greater.jobs/search-and-apply/job-details/G5/OL-35979/