Full time, Permanent
Grade SO 1/2
Salary £29,793 – £36,369
We have an exciting opportunity for a Legal Officer to join the Police and Fire Legal Services team based at our joint Headquarters in Winsford and at Courts across Cheshire.
You will join a team of Legal Officers with responsibility for police prosecutions (including Domestic Violent Protection Orders and road traffic offences) and civil applications to support front line operations. You will have conduct of your own case load and provide advice and assistance to clients, prepare applications and case files as well as providing representation at Courts across Cheshire (principally the Magistrates Courts).
The ideal candidate will meet the requirements outlined in the experience and qualifications section in the role profile attached to this advert. These may be suitable for job share arrangements.
Please see the attached Role Profile for more information about this vacancy.
Where the role requires a specific qualification you will also be required to bring the original certificate as proof of your achievement and a photocopy to interview.
The Police Service is an equal opportunities organisation and is determined to ensure that:
The workforce reflects the diverse society which it serves and that the working environment is free from any form of discrimination, victimisation or harassment.
No job applicant or volunteer is treated more or less favourably on the grounds of sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, pregnancy and maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins, religion or belief or disability. This is subject to the Police Service engaging in positive action scheme which intends to overcome or minimise a person’s disadvantage. Cheshire Constabulary operate a zero tolerance policy regarding any form of discrimination, victimisation, bullying or harassment.
No job applicant or volunteer is disadvantaged by a provision, criterion or practice which cannot be shown to be a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim.
- Educated to level 5 relevant to the post, namely a practicing solicitor, barrister, legal executive or equivalent experience.
- Substantial experience of working in a legal office / regulatory environment.
- Significant experience of legal research techniques.• Some experience of acting in a supervisory or management role.
- Some experience of having sole or primary conduct of a legal caseload.
- Some experience of formulating and providing legal advice without direct supervision.
- Some advocacy experience in a judicial, quasi-judicial or tribunal setting.
- Significant ability to compose letters, statements, reports and notes of legal advice.
- Significant competency in using computer systems including Microsoft packages
- Significant skills which demonstrate ability to operate effectively as part of a team in a legal practice
- Some knowledge of emergency service related legislation
- Some knowledge of prosecutions in the Magistrates Court, health and safety, employment, procurement and equalities legal framework
Cheshire Constabulary is fully supportive of diversity, equality and inclusion and strives to employ a workforce which is representative of the community it serves.
Applications are welcomed from all underrepresented groups and support will be made available throughout the recruitment process for all applicants. Under-represented groups include:
• Those from a Black or Minority Ethnic (BAME) background, including non-visible ethnic minorities such as Czech, Slovak, Polish, and Gypsy/Travellers.
• Individuals from the LGBT+ community
• People with disabilities
• All other characteristics protected by the Equality Act 2010.
If you have any queries in relation to diversity, equality and inclusion or have a request for any additional support you may need, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note, you will require the following detail to complete this application form; NI Number, ID detail, address information, referee information, full employment history including dates and any qualifications you may have attained. You may also be requested to provide photos of any visible tattoos you have. The application system only remains active on a single page for a period of 60 minutes. Please therefore ensure you allow time to complete this fully as part complete pages will not be saved.
To apply on line click this link