Senior Lawyer (Property) (Part time)
Grade/Salary CEC NJC – Grade 11/£43,366 to £50,047 pro rata per annum
Ref No E2153
Closing Date 6th June 2023
An exciting opportunity has become available to work within the Property Team in the Legal Services Department. The position is for a Senior Lawyer (0.81 FTE – 30 hours per week) over 4/5 days.
ABOUT THE ROLE
You will work as part of the Property Team, which is a busy and supportive team, and will provide legal and procedural advice and services in the most efficient and effective way to meet the requirements of the Council as a whole and those of specific Services and Departments. You will ensure that the Council meets its obligations, act within the law and its interests are protected.
You will be an experienced and committed Lawyer and will deal with and provide support on a range of matters including:
• Redevelopment/regeneration projects
• Compulsory Purchase Orders
• Disposal of Assets
• Infrastructure projects
• Landlord & Tenant Act issues
• Affordable Housing
The Council is currently involved in a large number of high profile projects including infrastructure (with the construction of new link roads), major town centre and economic regeneration and HS2 and the role is a challenging and dynamic one.
The role is diverse with no one day the same, for more information on the role please view the “In this job you will” section in the attached JDPS document.
- QAQC4060- Senior Lawyer ( Place) JD PS.pdf
You will have:
• An excellent working knowledge of property law together with an innovative, commercial approach to ensuring the delivery of a high quality legal service.
• the ability to work as part of a team and be flexible, enthusiastic and committed as the role will involve providing support to the senior lawyers in the team whilst managing your own caseload
• excellent communication skills, be able to work under pressure and to prioritise your workload to meet tight deadlines.
• the ability to work collaboratively with project teams and client departments to ensure good client relations.
• excellent drafting skills, the ability to provide concise and clear advice, negotiate and carry out legal research and analysis.
• The ability and willingness to expand your legal skills and apply yourself to novel areas of the team’s work which may not be currently within your own expertise.
You will be required to provide training to clients and stakeholders as required.
Experience gained in a Local Authority setting would assist as would a sound understanding of local government and administrative law, and an appreciation of the challenges facing local authorities is key to the role.
You will report to the Principal Lawyer (team manager) and supervise colleagues in the Legal Service as appropriate.
To find out more about our essential and desirable criteria for the role please view the “In this job you will” section in the attached JDPS document.
WHAT WE GIVE IN RETURN
• ENHANCED ANNUAL LEAVE – 34 days annual leave (inclusive of bank holidays) from day 1, increasing up to 39 days after only 5 years’ service
• ENHANCED PUBLIC PENSION – A career average pension (contributions built at a rate of 1/49th of your yearly pensionable pay
• FLEXIBLE WORKING PATTERN – 37-hour standard full time working week with flexi time and hybrid/remote working arrangements
• PURCHASE OF ANNUAL LEAVE – The ability to purchase up to 10 days’ extra annual leave each year in addition to your normal annual leave entitlements (this is pro-rata for part time staff)
• CYCLE TO WORK SCHEME – Receive Income Tax and National Insurance savings of up to 25-39% off the retail price of the bike and safety equipment package (savings dependent on the value of your chosen package and your tax status
• EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE PROGRAMME – A completely free to use and confidential assistance service for all employees to help staff manage, reduce and overcome the impact of life issues which they may experience from time to time, both within work and their personal life
• PAID VOLUNTEER LEAVE – Up to two days paid leave per year to volunteer for local organisations in the borough of Cheshire East
• VIRGIN MEDIA AND O2 DISCOUNTS – Exclusive discounts on Virgin Media Broadband and O2 pay monthly plans.
• DISCOUNTED GYM MEMBERSHIPS – Access to corporate membership prices for Everybody Leisure which includes:
• Gym, Swim and Group Fitness at all 16 facilities
• Off-Peak Racket Sports
• Athletics Tracks
To find out more about our rewards and benefits package, please click here
Cheshire East is an amazing place to live and work. As one of the largest employers in the borough, we are able to offer you a wide range of challenging and rewarding career opportunities.
At Cheshire East Council we are working for a brighter future – together and our commitment to you is that our workplace culture will provide a shared purpose, a well-led organisation with valued people succeeding together as one team and one council to deliver the best service for our customers and communities.
If you want to be part of our award-winning council and contribute to our ongoing success, have the flexibility and drive to enable us to innovate, are committed to working as part of a team and striving to deliver exceptional service wherever you can, we would especially like to hear from you.
As an equal opportunities employer, we welcome applicants from all backgrounds and want our workforce to reflect the diversity of our local communities so that we can all work for a brighter future – together.
Cheshire East is an amazing place to live and work. As one of the largest employers in the borough, we can offer you a wide range of challenging and rewarding career opportunities. At Cheshire East Council we are working for a brighter future – together and our commitment to you is that our workplace culture will provide a shared purpose, a well-led organisation with valued people succeeding together as one team and one council to deliver the best service for our customers and communities.
HOW TO APPLY
If you want to be part of our award-winning council and contribute to our ongoing success, have the flexibility and drive to enable us to innovate, are committed to working as part of a team and striving to deliver exceptional service wherever you can, we would especially like to hear from you. To apply for the role please click apply for this job at the bottom of the page, or, for or an informal chat about the role please contact Mandy Withington on 01270 685825.
For further information please contact Mandy Withington (Principal Lawyer) via email; firstname.lastname@example.org
Cheshire East Council is committed to safeguarding children and vulnerable adults across the Borough. As such, any cautions, convictions, reprimands or final warnings that are ‘not protected’ as defined by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) order 1975 (as amended in 2013) relating to the non-disclosure of spent convictions do not apply to this job. You must therefore, disclose whether you have any previous convictions where prompted to do so within the application process.
Internet Explorer is no longer supported so please use a different browser when you submit your application – for example Google Chrome or Microsoft edge. You will also need to ensure pop ups are enabled. Please ensure you check the email account (including junk/spam boxes) from which you apply regularly as we will use this to contact you regarding your application.
If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks of the closing date then it is likely that you have not been shortlisted on this occasion, however please do not be discouraged from applying again.
For any technical enquiries please email email@example.com
Please quote the job reference number in all correspondence.
Apply for this role at https://jobs.cheshireeast.gov.uk/internal/vacancy/senior-lawyer-property-525534.html