Solicitor/Legal Executive – Fixed Term
Fixed term contract for nine months
Full-time (37 hours per week)
Part-time applications will be considered
Are you motivated to work for an ambitious Organisation, here to empower and inspire our communities to thrive?
Here’s some information about us
We are here to empower and inspire our communities to thrive. Every staff member plays a part in our success and achievement through challenging what we do, how we do it and how we can do it better. Ideas are continuously encouraged, new ways of working are trialled and we apply learning through experience. Through our ‘one team’ approach, we work in an agile way to empower our staff to be able to make decisions that place our customers at the heart of what we do.
We are delivering our innovative and forward thinking Customer Connect Programme which is transforming the way we deliver services by maximising digital technology and putting customers at the heart of everything we do. The programme is improving services, enabling valued customers to do business with us in a simpler way. Our new operating model will see traditional roles working very differently. Continued development of our people is central to our success.
We are proud of South Lakeland District and we serve communities across a rural area that includes two national parks, with the majority of the stunning Lake District National Park in our district, as well as western parts of the Yorkshire Dales National Park. With friendly communities, low crime rate, cultural attractions and excellent motorway and West Coast Mainline links to the North West, South Lakeland rightly promotes itself as the ‘best place to live, work and explore.’
We Are South Lakeland.
South Lakeland District Council is seeking to recruit a Solicitor/Legal Executive on a Fixed Term Contract from September 2020, within the Legal Services Team. The post is pre-dominantly based at the Council’s head offices in Kendal with the option for remote/home working.
To be successful in this role you will need:
- Good working experience and knowledge of a range of contract matters including for example, procurement, contract drafting and variations, grants and framework agreements, to name but a few
- Experience of Local Government and contracts as well as a relevant law degree and current practising certificate or equivalent legal qualification and experience
- Other duties will include drafting, reviewing and negotiating terms and conditions and advising accordingly
- The ability to work independently with the support of Senior Specialists where relevant and referring to Senior Specialists for work outside previous experience
- Possession of good IT literacy skills and the ability to use electronic publications for the purpose of legal work and research are critical
To be a success in our Legal Team you will:
- Be a strong team player, able to use sound judgment to solve problems and enjoy a challenge
- Have effective communication skills and be committed to delivering the best possible service for the benefit of our residents
What we offer
- Being part of an innovative, forward thinking, supportive and solutions focused team
- Smart working – Working in a ways that gets the best outcomes
- Generous Annual Leave Entitlement (23 days holiday per annum + Bank Holidays (increasing to 28 days after 5 years’ service))
- Flexi time – being able to accrue up to 13 additional flexi days + 5 additional banked flexi days per annum
- An attractive pension scheme
Would you like to join us, share and develop the experience and above all, make a difference…?
For further information including the Role Profile and details of how to apply, please visit us at https://www.southlakeland.gov.uk/your-council/job-vacancies/
We are unable to accept CVs alone for job vacancies. However, they can be attached to the application form.
For an informal discussion about the role, please do not hesitate to contact Linda Fisher in the first instance by email – Linda.Fisher@southlakeland.gov.uk
Candidates that are shortlisted for interview will be informed by email.
Closing date for application: 2 September 2020
Interviews will be held: Week commencing 7 September 2020