Specialist Level 2 (Contracts & Commercial) – Solicitor/Legal Executive (FTC to 31/3/23)
Job Reference 00981
Salary Scale J – £34,373 per annum, pro rata
Fixed term contract up to 31 March 2023
Full-time (37 hours per week), Part-time applications will be considered
Closing date 12th April 2022
Are you motivated to work for an ambitious organisation, here to empower and inspire our communities to thrive?
Here’s some information about us
We are here to empower and inspire our communities to thrive. Every staff member plays a part in our success and achievement through challenging what we do, how we do it and how we can do it better. Ideas are continuously encouraged, new ways of working are trialled and we apply learning through experience. Through our ‘one team’ approach, we work in an agile way to empower our staff to be able to make decisions that place our customers at the heart of what we do and ultimately to empower and inspire our communities to thrive.
We are in an exciting process of transitioning from a district council to being part of a new, larger unitary council providing most local government services to the Barrow, South Lakeland and Eden areas. South Lakeland’s transformation through its Customer Connect programme and positive culture will provide an excellent opportunity for the successful candidate to play a role in enabling the Council and its people to shape and transition to the new Council.
We Are South Lakeland.
Some details about the role
South Lakeland District Council (SLDC) is seeking to recruit a Solicitor/Legal Executive on a temporary contract for a period of up to 31 March 2023, within the Legal Services Team. The post is based at the Council’s head offices in Kendal, although we welcome applicants who want work remotely from home through making use of smart working.
To be successful in this role you will need:
- Good working experience and knowledge of a range of contract matters including for example, procurement, contract drafting and variations, grants and framework agreements, to name but a few
- A current practising certificate or equivalent legal qualification and experience
- Other duties will include drafting, reviewing and negotiating terms and conditions and advising accordingly
- The ability to work independently with the support of Senior Specialists where relevant and referring to Senior Specialists for work outside previous experience
- Possession of good IT literacy skills and the ability to use electronic publications for the purpose of legal work and research are critical
To be a success in our Legal Team you will:
- Be a strong team player, able to use sound judgment to solve problems and enjoy a challenge
- Have effective communication skills and be committed to delivering the best possible service for the benefit of our residents
- Be experienced or newly qualified & have a great work ethic
What we offer
- Being part of an innovative, forward thinking, supportive and solutions focused team
- Smart working – working in a way that gets the best outcomes
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
- Generous Annual Leave Entitlement (23 days holiday per annum + Bank Holidays )
- Flexi time scheme – being able to accrue up to 13 additional flexi days + 5 additional banked flexi days per annum
- An attractive pension scheme
Equality of opportunity
We are fully committed to equality, diversity and inclusion. We want this to be reflected in the diversity of the people who work for us and we welcome applications from people from all backgrounds and identities including from disabled and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates as these groups are under-represented at SLDC, particularly at senior level. As part of our commitment to employing disabled people, all disabled candidates who meet the minimum requirement for vacancies will be guaranteed an interview.
Would you like to join us, share and develop the experience and above all, make a difference…?
To accompany your application, please upload a CV summarising your employment history, qualifications and relevant experience. Please note, we are unable to accept CVs alone for job vacancies.
For an informal discussion about the role, please do not hesitate to contact Julia Krier in the first instance by email – Julia Krier@southlakeland.gov.uk
Candidates that are shortlisted for interview will be informed by email.
Closing date for applications: Tuesday 12 April 2022
Interviews will be held: Week Commencing Monday 18 April 2022
For further information including the Role Profile and details of how to apply, please visit our website and search for Current Vacancies.